The Ultimate Healthy Coffee Muffins Recipe
New year, new healthy me!
If you crave for something sweet to go with your perfect cup of coffee, but don’t want the store bought cakes that packed with sugars and preservatives, then these delicious HEALTHY COFFEE MUFFINS are just the thing! It might take some time to prepare it, but we promise you it worth all the efforts, especially you can batch cook and freeze them.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Serves: 12 muffins
Dietary Preference: Nut-free
- 240g wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp instant coffee granules
- 125ml low-fat milk
- 50g low-fat plain yoghurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 40g cacao nibs (optional)
- 50g wholemeal flour
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, softened
- 1 tbsp instant coffee granules
- 3 tsp maple syrup
- 150g low-fat plain yoghurt.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and place 12 cupcake liners in a 12-cup muffin tin.
- To make the crumble, place the flour, sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and mix to combine. Add the coconut oil and mix into the dry ingredients until combined and crumbly. Set aside.3. To make the muffins, place the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and instant coffee in a mixing bowl and mix until well-combined.
- Whisk the milk, yoghurt, eggs, vanilla, maple syrup and coconut oil together in a second bowl, until well-combined. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix gently to combine. Be careful not to over mix. Gently fold in the cacao nibs, if using.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the cupcake liners and sprinkle the crumble over the top of each muffin. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, to make the coffee sauce, dissolve the coffee in two tablespoons of boiling water. Stir through the maple syrup and set aside to cool completely. When cool, add to the yoghurt and mix well to combine. If the sauce is a little thick, add one teaspoon of cold water (or milk) until the desired pouring consistency is reached.
- Leave the muffins to cool for 5 minutes in the tin before removing and placing on a wire rack. Muffins can be served warm or left on the wire rack to cool completely.
- To serve, carefully remove the cupcake liner from the coffee muffin and place on a serving plate. Drizzle over the coffee sauce and enjoy!
These coffee muffins will keep for two days in an airtight container at room temperature. They can also be stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to two months. Simply leave them to thaw overnight in the fridge and enjoy the next day.